Thursday, July 16, 2009

Every time I see a movie in Mumbai, I display my patriotism

Forgive my patriotism – which is at an abysmally low level – not that I don’t love my country but which seems to be at an all time low considering the fact that I am almost always criticizing the vociferous zeal of my fellow countrymen (life is always relative I guess – no absolutes involved). Why is there forced patriotism in this country? In every aspect – you go to see TERMINATOR – and you are told to get up to play the national anthem. You are told to rise before any goddamn movie and the national anthem is played. What kind of forced patriotism is this? I want to know whether every Indian rises to the national anthem when they see the Republic Day celebrations at their homes. Do all the guys who speak of nationalism and imbibing the spirit of the country – do all of them pay taxes – do all those who force others to show patriotism ever do so themselves? Why is it that if we go for the movies, the national anthem has to be played before each movie? Why movies alone? Why isn’t the national anthem being played before each day in office, each day in school, each day before a serial is shown on TV, each day when we have food, before breakfast, lunch or dinner? Or if it is difficult to have such a kind of routine in personal life, why not have the anthem played every time we start a day in office, every time a shop opens, each time a politician stands to make a speech. In fact, every day before we start our day, it should begin with the national anthem. Why only movies? Why not other places? And if it is only movies that we restrict ourselves to then it is the classic case where we are seeking to advertise a perverted form of patriotism that is hollow and without any content. Maybe the powers that be who forced it on the hapless movie theatres wanted to seek the maximum attention considering that murder, rape and arson are the best means to fortify your position in public life. At a time when free speech is at its lowest ebb in this country, I wonder what times are round about the corner. Maybe a signed oath of allegiance is next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice flow of words....i am impressed....try a hand at writing a book....oh no !!! not on economics...

Erratix said...

Hey - I used to love the national anthem before movies in bombay!!! It felt like a revisor course especially when I got back from delhi where people dont even remember the words.......and just for those two minutes there is a...well....partioic feeling in the hall..isnt there? :-)